LEGO Wicked Glinda Elphaba Nessarose at Shiz University 75681 New Release Review Brick Banter

A Wicked first impression in LEGO!

LEGO Wicked sets are on the cusp of release, and the movie is right around the corner. We have our hands on some sets with little to no movie context, so here we are!

This particular set is actually the first LEGO Set designed by LEGO Masters Alumni David Guedes! There are a lot of people that he thanks over on his socials on instagram (@bricklettuce) that really showcase how much effort goes into sets like these. So, as we read on, the graphics are designed by Julie Sode, new elements by Luna Lund Jensen and Ruth Kelly. I’m sure there is a lot of overlap between these people and other sets, but this is a huge congratulations to David!

The Wicked LEGO Set

Shiz University is represented here in a colour filled burst with pinks, reds, blues and in-betweens! The build can be split in two clean halves, the structure and the boat.

The boat that Glinda travels on in this set is such a simple but enlightening build. It uses recoloured action pose bars in white for the sails, and then a recoloured coral boat that really stands out. As someone with two daughters, a boat that comes with a sail at a small size, whilst also being structurally sound is a huge win. The sail printing is also fantastic! My only gripe is wishing that there was somewhere for Glinda to sit down in, but then there would be no space for all her stuff!

The University building is more of a direct waterside entrance, with a clear ‘water side’ and a ‘classroom side’. Both do well with the limited space, with a small potions shelf, book lectern and enough space to pack all the figures and accessories inside for a quick clean up.

There is almost a stark contrast between the outside and inside, with the inside reminiscent of Hogwarts sets, and the outside very LEGO Disney Princess. Its a big juxtaposition that I’m not sure is intentional or not. Either way, I love the red plants and fancy printing on the outside that breaks up solid walls and colour.

The LEGO Wicked Minifigures

The set comes with three figures, Elphaba, Glinda and Nessarose, all of which are exclusive to the set.

Elphaba comes in a university uniform, devoid of any glasses or witchy attire. The printing is lovely, and I really am a big fan of her hair.

Glinda comes in a much more ‘professional/high society’ style of attire, which is really reflective of her character. I love how well her top and bottoms match, knowing that LEGO could have easily just made her top the only printed element. Her hair piece is also another fantastic part of the figure, but I do think she could have had a bit more of a smile personally.

The last character of the set is Nessarose, who we have only see very briefly in the trailer for the film. The character in the original version is wheelchair bound and armless, but the movie has taken an armed Nessarose instead. She is Elphaba’s younger sister, and although wheelchair bound, has her quirky character come through. I love that she has a golden wheelchair, with a subtle sticker printing on the back. She also has matching colours for her top and her shoes, which I love.

Verdict

Overall, I like this set. It’s a nice introduction into the LEGO Wicked range, and if you’re looking for a set for a younger demographic, it’s a nice choice.

I really like the boat and can see my own kids happily engaging with the set. But if you are on a limite

See our reviews for other sets from this theme:

75681 – LEGO® Wicked Glinda, Elphaba & Nessarose at Shiz University

75682 – LEGO® Wicked Elphaba & Glinda Figures

75683 – LEGO® Wicked Glinda & Elphaba’s Dormitory

75684 – LEGO® Wicked Welcome to Emerald City

Thank you for reading

Support BrickBanter.com by shopping for your LEGO® via the affiliate links below.

It’ll cost you nothing but will mean the world to us. 🫶

🇦🇺 Australia🇨🇦 Canada – 🇪🇺 Europe🇬🇧 United Kingdom🇺🇸 United States💛 Everyone else

Explore more articles

BrickBanter.com is a recognized LEGO® Fan Media account.

Review sets are supplied by the LEGO group.

Tags: